Managing and protecting a business’ intellectual property (IP) can be critical to its success.
We understand that intangible assets such as trading names, marks, copyright, confidential information and software are fundamental, and we can assist with increasingly sophisticated protection as your business grows.
Understanding what is in your business’ IP asset pool can help you better use those assets in your business planning and strategy. Ensuring that your idea, product or service remains protected is essential to its effective commercialisation. Similarly, effective management of IP rights that are licensed or used by your business can help avoid disputes and allow you to focus on your core business activities.
Intellectual Property Protection
Our Business and Corporate team has significant experience in IP law and developing IP protection strategies to protect your rights across the spectrum. Our expertise includes trade marks, copyright, confidentiality, privacy, online content, data protection, compliance and infringement litigation. We can assist you if your IP has been misused or infringed upon.
- provided advice to various national peak bodies on IP protection and commercialisation strategies including preparing the requisite documents for funding, research, collaboration, and licensing arrangements;
- acted for franchisors to enforce compliance with the franchisee brand and image under the franchising documents (to protect the goodwill and brand of that franchise), and provided advice on (and enforcement of) breach of copyright relating to images owned by the franchisor;
- prepared software development contracts, hosting contracts, and software licenses for various private businesses;
- assisted in the deployment of IP solutions and technical infrastructure, from software and hardware solutions to substantial backhaul projects spanning the region;
- acted for private business and national peak bodies to register and protect their trade marksand assisted with oppositions to the trade mark process; and
- provided advice to private businesses on the structuring and ownership of IP assets separate from trading operations to ensure greater IP protection, including preparing the relevant assignment and licensing agreements.
If you would like to learn more about how intellectual property relates to you and your business, please contact us.